Saturday night hockey

Saturday night hockey
Saturday night hockey

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Home again

We had our last morning in Hawaii on Monday and an exciting morning it was.  There were a group of whales – Humpbacks go there in January to March to breed and calve – in closer to shore than any we had seen previously.  We did see them everyday we were in Hawaii.  This day we had a fantastic view of them and we were convinced that there was a female giving birth. 

IMG_8654

My camera only has 6x zoom… We figured they were about 400 yards out and we had a very good look at them through the binoculars.

Then there were about 50 turtles feeding and we again got to look at them up close – like a couple of feet away. 

IMG_8673

And I know I said I wasn’t going to show the dead fish, but this is too intriguing… Two days out and the fish is shrinking as the crabs feast on it…

IMG_8653

I had a day off work when we got home.  I planned it that way as I knew I had to sew a block for the 2015 Canadians bee swap.  This is a Bonnie Hunter block and the original tutorial for it is found here http://quiltville.blogspot.ca/2005/06/scrappy-mountain-majesties.html

Our bee bunny of the month wanted bright modern fabrics paired with low volume.  Hopefully I did it right. She asked that we not sew the four pieces together as she wanted to play with layout.   I love how it looks.

IMG_8686

I have to make two Valentine’s postcards this weekend so I’m lined up to sew…  What do you have planned for your weekend?

Janet

8 comments:

  1. Nice photos. Well done. Can't wait o see the post cards. I'm thinking I might do some of these this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice trip! I bet it was something to see the whales and turtles. When we were scuba diving, I always wanted to see a turtle, but I never did. Nice fabric choices on the block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't nature a marvel, great photos! Valentines already? Wow, and I thought January just started LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the big green sea turtles when we were in Hawaii! What I am doing this weekend...a friend is coming over and we are going to watch a craftsy class together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. more gorgeous pics of your holiday,
    great block, had to pop over to see how they are made. I didn't know they were that easy! thanks for the link I can see me making some of them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to have seen sew many Humpbacks and turtles..
    love the block and will check out the link.
    Enjoy making your Postcards..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you enjoyed that holiday right down to the very end!
    Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home! I love whale watching. My weekend has been busy -- sewing by machine Friday and Saturday and hand-stitching on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete