Saturday night hockey

Saturday night hockey
Saturday night hockey

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Thread Collection

  • How did you select colors for your personal thread collection?
  • I usually buy thread to go with a project I’m working on.  From time to time I’ll buy some variegated or metallic threads to add to my collection, just because.

  • Do you always match the color perfectly to your project?
  • No.  When doing hand appliqué or mending I like the thread to match.  When piecing I try to use a neutral.  For machine quilting I’m just starting to experiment with varied coloured threads.  I have done some thread painting as well.

  • Do you ever use contrasting thread?
  • Yes.  See above.  I think my free motion quilting isn’t good enough for bold contrast but heck it’s fun and in the end I don’t think anyone is going to look all that closely.

  • Do you use the same color in the bobbin as the upper thread?
  • Not always.  I have used different colours when free motion quilting and I haven’t found dots showing through to be much of a problem.  Lots of times I will go with whatever is already wound on a bobbin that sort of matches.

  • What if a fabric has big areas of very different colors?
  • I have done free motion on all parts of the quilt with one colour at times and at other times I have used different coloured threads for different sections.

  • Do you have any tips or suggestions about choosing thread?
  • I am really a beginner in the quilting area so I don’t have tons of advice.  Using the right size needle for the thread is important.  I also find that using different types of needles – e.g. metallic, embroidery – helps prevent breakage.  I always try to experiment with different threads as I want to learn as much as possible.  I love the look of rayon threads for embroidery.  Metallic's can be frustrating to use because the metal wrap strips off the inner thread core easily.  I love Aurifil for piecing as it doesn’t make as much lint and it is very strong but thin.  I recently did a project that used elastic thread for shirring.  It does a fantastic job!  And is easy to use.

  • Can you show us a picture(s) of your thread collection?
  • Yes.  I have a disgusting amount of thread.

  • Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with the color (without a particular project in mind)?
  • Yes absolutely.  Especially specialty threads.

  • Do you “invest” in thread?
  • Anything I buy and don’t use up immediately is an investment in my mind.  I love to have different colours and types of thread to choose from.  I don’t live close to a store (one hour drive each way) so it isn’t likely I’m going to run to the store for thread if I don’t have something on hand.

  • What types of thread do you have? (elastic, quilting, all-purpose, wool, etc.)
  • Oh a little bit of everything…. Let me show you pictures.

    IMG_1883 These are cottons that I use mostly for piecing.  You can see I have a few Aurifils.  They’re the ones with the orange spools.

    IMG_1882  This is a box of polyester or poly/cotton threads.  I do a lot of clothes sewing and mending so use these regularly.

    IMG_1881 This bag hold my collection of metallic and rayon threads.  I think I need a bigger bag!

    IMG_1885 These are mostly threads I use for hand appliqué.  The grey spools are Presensia brand.  They are a bit thick for my liking, but my LQS has them in a huge variety of colours and the price is right.

    IMG_1886 These are my variegated threads.  I’d love this collection to be much larger.

    IMG_1888 Here are my perle cottons and embroidery threads.  I do cross stitch and embroidery both.  The bags in the back are a big collection I was given by my SIL.  She and my brother used to do a lot of cross stitch.  Now they play on computers instead.

    IMG_1889 These are miscellaneous threads – there are some really heavy threads for sewing canvas or upholstery fabrics.  Some rolls of thread that surveyors use – I was given a box of them.  They are quite thin but good for basting.  You can see a roll of invisible shrinking thread on top.  I was going to take a class using this but was sick and couldn’t attend.  I haven’t tried using the thread yet.

    IMG_1879 Last but not least, this is a collection of silk threads that I inherited from my MIL.  As you can see by the spools some of them are very old.  Note the tiny spool in the centre.  It’s a little wood spool.  I’m not sure if I’ll ever use these.  I haven’t experimented with them.

    And that’s it for my thread expose.  I look forward to seeing what others have to share.

    2 comments:

    1. sorry to hear that your brother and sil have been sucked into their computers and don't stitch anymore...lol!! just kidding. you have quite a collection of threads. I pretty much only have standard sewing thread and along with a couple of spools of quilting thread sorted in color families and stored in two 3 drawer plastic cabinet things. But I do have a very large collecton of dmc floss, sorted color #'s and put in snack size zlplocks and those are stored in color families/groups in gallon ziplocks which are stored in a big clear tub. Enoyed your post. cyndi

      ReplyDelete
    2. omg, we are kindred thread spirits, lol! I guess I have a lot of threads too. Have you ever hand quilting with overdyed or varigated thread? It's beautiful, especially if the thread is a contrast to a bright light batik. I have a bunch of perle cottons in #5, 8 and 12. I have even been known to use crochet cotton to applique felted wool applique with. I can't be trusted to follow directions and I never listen. I have an elderly friend that I quilt with frequently and she gave me some silk threads that are quite old, I love them. I may not use them but I enjoy looking at them and touching the wooden spools they are wound on. What a fun subject, thanks for sharing your colle4ction, Elaine

      ReplyDelete